Cross-docking is the practice of unloading materials from an incoming container, trailer, or rail car and loading these materials into outbound trailers or rail cars, with little or no storage in between. The focus for a cross-dock operation is on receiving and staging rather than on the storage and order picking.
24/7 Express Logistics has a cross-docking / pool distribution strategy that is an effective solution leveraged to improve transportation service to customers and reduce handling and storage costs. Our cross-dock layout allows for quick movement through our warehouse to route product from one or multiple manufacturing site(s) to a distribution center strategically located nearer to the designated customer population. Product can be shipped from manufacturing plants to our warehouse where it will be deconsolidated into multiple shipments and delivered directly to the outbound customer. Special packaging and labeling requirements can be met as a value-added function of 24/7 Express Logistics cross-docking service.
Cross docking/Pool Distribution shifts the focus from “supply chain” to “demand chain”. For example stock coming into the cross docking center has already been pre-allocated against a replenishment order generated by a retailer in the supply chain.
- Materials are brought in to one central location and then sorted for delivery to a variety of destinations
- Consolidation arrangements, where a variety of smaller shipments are combined into one larger shipment for economy of transport
- Deconsolidation arrangements, where large shipments are broken down into smaller lots for ease of delivery.
- Greater supply chain responsiveness
- Reduced operating costs
- Reduced inventory levels
- Increased throughput
- Reduced product obsolescence
- Reduced product damages
- Reduced transit times
- Faster time to market
- Quicker cash flow